Friday, January 14, 2011

Bird's Nest Allergy

Last night something extraordinary happened.

As a part of my new skincare routine, I started taking bottled bird's nest about 2 weeks ago. Bird's Nest is a popular health food that is supposed to help skin look fairer, firmer and more youthful, mainly because it contains a large amount of collagen.

So anyway, after two weeks (3 bottles a week), nothing happened, until last night close to midnight, when I developed a STRONG and sudden allergy after drinking a bottle for about 4 hours. I felt breathless and my eyes started to itch. In a matter of like 3 minutes, my eyes swelled to the size of ping pong balls, and by the time my husband drove me to a 24-hr clinic, I couldn't open my left eye, while I managed a slit for my right. I was still having difficulty breathing. The doctor couldn't help me as, ironically, I was allergic to Piriton, a common drug known to control allergy. He gave me some steroids and urged me to go to the Accident & Emergency department at the hospital immediately.

So the people at the hospital said that I needed "immediate attention" (I think they were worried that I might not be able to breath soon due to the possible blockage of airway) and rolled me in a wheelchair to this emergency ward. They gave me more medicine through the veins (ok the insertion of the needle was a little...) and observed me for 2 hours or so. At around 2am or so, they decided that I was alright and transferred me to the observation ward. The nurses came to check on my blood pressure regularly and I was really bored, mainly because I couldn't open my eyes, so I couldn't do anything, except to try to sleep.

The next morning the doctor came to check on me and said that I was well enough to be discharged. She warned me that there might be a recurrence within 12 hours and told me to return immediately if it happens. She gave me more medicine for the next 5 days and off to home I went!

Now, I must say, I don't look like myself at all. Totally unrecognisable still. Although my breathing has returned to normal, I look like E.T with huge and sausage alike eyes. My vision is affected and I have to tilt my head up to see. Luckily, I can still open my eyes enough (and after sleeping a lot) to write a blog post, or else I am really going to be so so so bored!

I just hope my eyes will return to normal as soon as possible, or my colleagues are so going to stare at me as if I am an alien (though I really look like one now) on Monday (I can't possibly take another day off work). I heard that it might take as long as 72 hours for the swelling to subside! ARGH~~~~~

So no more bird's nest for me. Not fated to eat luxurious health food! It's such a pity because I was enjoying the effects of it so much. I had such smooth and radiant skin the 2 next days each time I took a bottle... sigh sigh sigh!

My Adam Beauty package with my new Luvshuca (more melting rouge) and Coffret D'or (Spring 2011 Collection) stuff came today! I will write a post on it tomorrow, or even tonight! Anyway, sorry for the lack of new posts recently... as I have been crazy saving and haven't been able to buy too many new products. Intended to do a tutorial this weekend, but sigh... alien eyes...

6 comments:

galpal.hi said...

Oh my goodness! You were in anaphylactic shock! It's a good thing that you were taken care of right away. My son has asthma and is also allergic to a medicine that is used to treat allergic reactions. There was one time when he developed severe allergic symptoms and while rushing down the hospital hallway emergency department, it's a good thing that I remembered to let them know he was allergic to that medication. One thing that you should be aware of is that the allergens in your system will stay there for approximtely 10 days. My son was not able to eat anything that are known allergens--peanuts, soy, strawberries, etc. It was difficult to prepare foods for him but he needed to clean out his system. You should consider doing that too.

Sorry that you were allergic to the Bird's Nest since it was giving you such fantastic results. Take care and don't stress your body for a while.

*Kat*

ashura said...

Hey Kat!
Thanks for the useful info and advice. I didn't know the thing about allergens in my system for 10 days! Lucky that you told me =)

So after I recover, I suppose... I will have to try somethings else... hmmm

FashionableAsians said...

Are you 100% sure it's real birds nest? because there are alot of imitations out there especially if its from China. But I'm glad you're getting better! It's not worth the money if it's harming you more than it's good for you D:

InsideOut Elle said...

ahhh I hope you're ok! I can totally feel the pain about developing an allergic reaction to something that's supposed to help beautify you...it sucks :( I'm glad you're getting better!

ashura said...

Hi FashionAsians,
I definitely hope it's 100% pure! It's bottled and I got it from a reputable place...

Nic Nic said...

sorry to hear about your allergy reaction. it was lucky you could see a doctor on time. i hope youre much better now! Wish you a speedy recovery!