Friday, March 18, 2011

FOTD: Egg in the Basket

It just suddenly came to me last night - I wanted to eat the egg toast V made for Evey, in one of my favorite movies of all time: V for Vendetta.

So, Paws (my husband) and I did a little bit of research on youtube and found many videos showing us how to do it. I didn't know it is called "egg in the basket" at first! I have no idea why it's called that; the only logical reason I can think of is that there is egg in the centre of the toast (basket) ^^"


When I bit into the toast, the first thought that came to my mind was -- crispy and fragrant! I didn't add any salt to the egg so the taste of the toast came purely from the butter and egg! I love the taste of butter on bread =) The egg was slightly runny, bread crispy, butter fragrant -- so the end result was simply orgasmic!! I can imagine eating this for breakfast for a week. No kidding!

Without further ado, let's get down to the method of making it!!!

INGREDIENTS:
1) 1 slice of bread, preferably white
2) 1 egg
3) butter (no margarine)

How difficult can this be? =)

Use a glass to cut out a hole in the centre of the bread.

Spread butter generously on both sides of the bread.

Put the bread on a heated pan.

Crack an egg in the hole.

Flip sides once you can move the bread/ when you see the egg is almost cooked.

VIOLA!!

It's easy to make and simply delicious! Try it =D

8 comments:

Steph said...

oMG that looks good... *drool...
gonna try it =D

vernz_08 said...

wow..looks easy..shud try it one day..haha (=

Huey said...

Saw your recipe and did it this morning!! I blogged about it and reference it to you http://piggylhy.blogspot.com/2011/03/egg-in-basket.html

Thanks for sharing ^^

Anonymous said...

Hi , I tried it yesterday and I failed big time ): The egg wasnt runny at all and the bread was over cooked . I realize I didn't have time to cook the egg the right side up as the bread was burnt . Any tips ? Thanks .

ashura said...

HI~
Perhaps you could lower the fire a little... I tried cooking it a few times with a middle low fire and it was ok =) I didn't wait for the egg to be entirely cooked before I flipped it over to cook the other side. I think frying it over a small fire is the key though... it took a few minutes before the egg was semi-cooked

Anonymous said...

So the egg yolk should be like 'burst' ?

ashura said...

Hmmm... if you want the yolk to be a bit more runny just lightly fry the other side after you flip sides.

Nanabeams said...

Thats a good idea. lol